We all know yoga is good for us and is a great workout but did you know about these not so obvious benefits of practicing yoga?
1. Better Sex. Now who can’t use a better sex life? Yoga increases blow flow to your below there regions making for more energy or chi to be focused down there, therefore stimulating more awareness and stimulation. Yoga also helps with flexibility and increased stamina which is also important for your sex life. Now who can’t enjoy a little extra flexibility and endurance in between the sheets? Some yoga poses focus on strengthening the “moola bandha,” or pelvic floor which are important for good sex and more intense orgasms ;)
2. Increase Confidence. Yogis preach no competition, your practice is your own and you shouldn’t compare yourself or your abilities to anyone else around you. But believe me, it feels damn good when you get into a pose you didn’t think you would ever be able to do. That sense of accomplishment will immediately boost your confidence.
3. Sharpen Your Intuition. This may be a little out there for you, but learning to just settle into your body and mind will help to sharpen your intuition. Our body is always telling us what it needs but we are usually too busy or have too much going on to actually listen. When you practice yoga you are taught to start to turn your thoughts inward and be aware of your body.
4. Boost Creativity. When you actually calm your mind and just focus on your breath as practiced in yoga, your mind is at its most creative. Spend a little time letting go of all of the noise in your mind and just letting it be calm and you will immediately start to notice all of the creative thoughts flowing to you.
5. Improves Digestion. All of that twisting and turning helps to give your internal organs a massage and help to aid in digestion. Studies have shown that yoga has helped to reduce discomfort and symptoms of IBS.
6. Improved Memory. When your mind has less clutter going on then you will be able to improve your memory. When practicing yoga and learning to just focus on your breath and movement, you are able to let go of all of the chatter in your mind and therefor will improve your memory. We are all so busy and have so much on our mind all the time that taking time to actually slow down and improve focus will help to drastically improve your memory...if you can remember to get to a yoga class ;)
7. Reduces Depression. Not only does yoga help increase blood flow to your body and brain that will help to increase endorphins, the feel good hormones, but yoga on a spiritual level helps to release negativity from your body. Many times during a pose you will notice emotions arising within your body. If you just give in to feeling those emotions and not push them away then you will begin to feel better about things after you just surrender to the feelings.
8. Sleep Better. One of the major reasons we don’t get a good nights rest is there is too much on our mind. When you start to practice yoga and learn to calm your mind you will start to have a better nights sleep. Yoga also helps to reduce cortisol levels, blood pressure and resting heart rate which will all help to have a better nights sleep.
9. Can Help Cure a Hangover. You are probably thinking the last thing you want to do after a night of drinking is going to yoga class. But, yoga is great for curing a hangover. Poses like shoulder stance can help the body to detox and get rid of your hangover by increasing blood flow. Just be sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after your yoga session.
10. Reduce Wrinkles. Who doesn’t want less wrinkles?! Doing poses that you are inverted (having your head below your heart) will bring blood flow to your face that will help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.